Composer of the month
John Philip Sousa
Music for Summer
Click on the links for each answer to see if you are correct.
1. John Philip Sousa is best known for writing ______________.
2. The piccolo is a ________ instrument.
3. The piccolo is a very high instrument.
4. Sousa led the Army band for many years.
5. Sousa never wrote piano music.
6. Which is something you should NOT do before sightreading new music.
7. Your wrist should usually be at about the same level as your hand and forearm.
8. The piccolo is only made of metal.
9. Piccolo music is written ______________.
from page 13
some of the instructions were inadvertently omitted on this puzzle. We apologize for the confusion. Please do the following:
1. go to the measure of the clue and then change the notes as instructed by the directions.
2. Rewrite the notes in the measure directly underneath it.
3. Here are the directions without scrambling the measure order:
Measure 1: up a second, down a third, up a fourth
Measure 2: down a seventh, down a fourth, up a sixth
Measure 3: up a third, down a second, down a fifth
Measure 4: up a second, down a third, down a sixth
Measure 5: up a fifth, up a third, down a third.
Measure 6: down a seventh
So for the first measure, take the first note – B and move it up a second to C. Then take the second note, E, and move it down a third to C, and so forth.